Another day, another... meat palace catches fire? Are there radical vegans on the loose? Old Town Social experienced a roof fire Sunday afternoon at around 3:30 p.m., but according to reports it was fairly small and did not affect the interior; the restaurant was apparently evacuated without incident, and the fire extinguished by around 4:00 p.m. The restaurant nevertheless planned to close for the evening and, judging by past restaurant fires, that could have meant a closing of weeks or months. But apparently it was determined to be so minor, despite the black smoke pouring off of the roof (go ahead, make Pope jokes, it's not too late), that the fire inspectors quickly passed them to reopen, which they did at 7:00 p.m. The statement they released yesterday is below.
Statement by Old Town Social, Sunday night:
There was routine maintenance work taking place on the roof of Old Town Social this week. Due to materials which may have been left in close proximity to the chimney, there was a fire that was limited to a specific area on the roof of the restaurant.
It was quickly contained by the fire department, and there was very little damage left as a result. The city has approved the space to re-open, and the public can now enter the restaurant again within the hour.